[dokuwiki] Re: splitbrain.org down

  • From: Adam Pribyl <pribyl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:15:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Andreas Gohr wrote:

Hi!

You probably noticed that splitbrain.org is down again. I asked for a
reboot tomorrow (it's cheaper weekdays) so everything should be
running on monday again. The thing is I don't know what causes the
problems but most probably we're at the limits of my little server. So
this can happen any time soon again, read my blog on the last outage
[1] for some more info.

So getting a new server is urgent. I did think about this for some
time now. Originally I planned to buy new hardware. But this would
still mean if something goes wrong we have to wait until I get my
provider to reboot the server which is very expensive and takes some
time. So I think will go for a rented server with 24/7 reboot service.
This will be more expensive in what I have to pay per month but will
come with more service.

We are using pretty simple solution called "watchdog" to this: http://bbs.cvut.cz/~covex/czfree/#resetator (sorry it is not in english - just for inspiration) You can make it for few Euros, connect to serial port, 12V and reset and set up process like while true; do echo watchdog > /dev/ttyS0; sleep 60s; done