[dokuwiki] splitbrain.org down

  • From: "Andreas Gohr" <splitbrain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:18:27 +0200

Hi!

You probably noticed that splitbrain.org is down again. I asked for a
reboot tomorrow (it's cheaper weekdays) so everything should be
running on monday again. The thing is I don't know what causes the
problems but most probably we're at the limits of my little server. So
this can happen any time soon again, read my blog on the last outage
[1] for some more info.

So getting a new server is urgent. I did think about this for some
time now. Originally I planned to buy new hardware. But this would
still mean if something goes wrong we have to wait until I get my
provider to reboot the server which is very expensive and takes some
time. So I think will go for a rented server with 24/7 reboot service.
This will be more expensive in what I have to pay per month but will
come with more service.

So here is my time plan for it. After my return from the WikiSym I
will move my domains (inluding splitbrain.org) to regfish.com, a DNS
only provider. This will ease later DNS transfers to a different
hosting provider. dokuwiki.org is already registered at regfish.

After that I will order a new dedicated server (probably at
hetzner.de), transfer all services to this server and switch DNS. I
hope to complete these steps during september.

FYI: the server I have in mind will be a DualCore P4 or Athlon with at
least 2Gigs of RAM and a RAID controller. This should be enough power
for the next few years :-)

To sum it up: we're experiencing some turbulences so please fasten
your seat belts and stay calm, soon everything will be better.

Please note that I don't get any mail while my server is down.
Mailserver should delay trnasfers until it is up again but you can
never be sure. If you need to contact me with something really
important please send it to my gmail account [2].

[1]
http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:D27qbba-1XsJ:www.splitbrain.org/blog/2006-08/03-server_problems&strip=1
[2] splitbrain@xxxxxxxxx