[dokuwiki] Re: end of IE6

  • From: Adrian Lang <lang@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:06:17 +0200

Hi Anika,

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:43:45 +0100
Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Therefore I suggest to stop supporting IE6 for DokuWiki as well.
> What this means:
> * still test stuff in IE6
> * make behaviour (JS) and design (CSS) degrade gracefully and make
> sure it's still usable with those bugs
> * if anything important is unusable, fix it (or provide an
> alternative)
> * but don't make it pretty anymore

actually, I‘d even go further. What you describe is the current
approach; what we should do instead is drop IE6. That means: Provide
(that is: test) only the absolute minimum functionality: plain
text editing & HTML viewing. Everything fancy, like JavaScript, good
looks, whatever should not be cluttered with ugly IE6 hacks. Instead,
we should gradually remove those hacks.

I do not say this because I don‘t like IE6, but because supporting it
hurts contributors and other browser‘s users.

Regards,
--
Adrian Lang / Wiki development & support
__  CosmoCode GmbH - http://www.cosmocode.de