[dokuwiki] Re: end of IE6

J.C. Romanda wrote:
Are you sure about your statement that IE6 it is EOL?

I would like to believe it, but based on everything i see IE6 is not EOL just yet. howeever, XP SP3 is still supported. For this reason, IE6 on XP SP3 would still be a supported product because IE6 was not upgraded to IE7 with SP3.

Yeah, you're right. XP SP3 is supported until 8 April 2014.

But that doesn't matter at all! Because my proposal was not really based on EOL, I just needed any date. ;-) Even if it was the end of IE6's life, people won't stop using IE6 from that day on right away anyway!

From various statistics IE6 has still a market share of 7-20% (depending on which statistics you look at). That's still a lot! :( And at least commercial projects don't decide on any end of life, but on the statistics.

I think for OpenSource projects it's probably fine to serve IE6 users a "simplified" version. But even commercial projects should be fine with having squared corners in IEs and rounded corners in all other browsers ...

I feel truly sorry for all those people who cannot choose to use anything but IE6. But as long as sites are still usable for them, I don't see any reason to spend time on fixing stuff for a browser which wouldn't be able to breathe on its own if it wasn't artificially kept alive.

I think my logic is correct or there would be blogs everywhere talking about the death of IE6.

When I was researching about the death of IE6, I found a lot of blogs talking about it. But all of them just set any date based on all kinds of different reasonings. Some said it's February 2009 (http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/02/norwegian-websi/), some went for March 2010 (ie6funeral.com), some for March 2009 (iedeathmarch.org), April 2014 (the "real" death, ie6death.com) and some decided on May 2009 (ripie6.com). There are a lot of similar campaigns out there (see bringdownie6.com and ie6.forteller.net for an overview). But most importantly *Google* has stopped supporting IE6 for Google Docs on 1 March 2010 and for YouTube on 13 March 2010. If Google is allowed to do it, we are! ;-)

Cheers,
Anika