[dokuwiki] Re: different Stylesheets with Conditional Comments

  • From: Gunther Pilz <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:16:51 +0200

Hi Chris!

Chris Smith schrieb:
> Wouldn't it be simpler to add the stylesheet LINK element directly
> into your template?
Well OK. I think, I see the point. But didn't I have to store my IE css
file in another location to prevent the css_out function from
integrating it into the css.php?
And as I wrote already in reply to Andis mail, by this way I'll get
another http request and increase traffic, because IEs then have to load
2 css files, where one isn't needed at all. This is what I want to avoid
(if possible).

> Without a syntax or structure to be able to specify browser specific
> styles in the component stylesheets that are aggregated by css.php
> there is little benefit in modifying the script.  Also, at this time,
> no plugin has been published with styles that could be identified as
> IE only, so the only styles are template styles, which again points to
> you referencing the CSS file directly in the template.
That's maybe a reason why there are so few multicolumn layouts for DW.
For plugins it's normally not necessary, because they have to be
integrated in the global layout.
I very much believe that ie. the possibility to integrate yaml-based
layouts would very much increase the number of available multi-column
layouts for DW. My opinion is that the default layout of DW isn't
up-to-date anymore. Most of the users have viewport sizes >= 1.000px,
which means that a full width single-column layout isn't very much
userfriendly, because line-length is much to great. And putting a
wrapper around it to shrink the page width leads to a waste of real
estate (for the screen design).

Almost every effective DW installation I know uses at least a two-column
layout, for presenting their users such usefull things like a navigation
or other interesting informations beside the main content.
But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers
Gunther