[dokuwiki] Re: different Stylesheets with Conditional Comments

  • From: Anika Henke <a.c.henke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:57:14 +0200

I do not understand. Even with conditional comments, you should still
be serving at least *two* css files. Or what would you do with the
other browsers??
No, there have to be two css files, *but* you can prevent IEs from
loaded by the standard compliant browsers.
For example like this:

    <!--[if !IE]> -->
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
    href="css/standard_compliant.css" />
    <!--<![endif]-->

Ah! I was not aware of this. I thought conditional comments and their
content would both need to be in comments ...
Another thing I have learned today. :-)

IE only, so the only styles are template styles, which again points to
you referencing the CSS file directly in the template.
That's maybe a reason why there are so few multicolumn layouts for DW.
What has a multi-column layout to do with Conditional Comments??
I think that's really obvious. It's almost impossible to create a modern
multi-column layout (ie. equal height columns with css) *without* doing
heavy adjustments for IE (<= 6).

I am sure it *is* possible. ;-)
But as you refer so often to the term "relative", "modern multi-column
layout" is quite a relative term, as well. Of course, many things are
impossible without IE adjustments, but most of them are "unimportant"
anyway (at least in my opinion) or can be done in a different way ...

But that is really a different discussion ... I agree that having the
possibility of conditional comments can be helpful.

The main reason of that discussion why *not* to add a possibility of a
two-or-more-column layout for me was: Then all template developers
have to provide all possible layouts!
I can't see the point. What reasons lead you to this conclusion?

If DokuWiki would support a one-column and additionally a two-column
layout in its default template, then all other templates would have to
support those two, as well.
Ie. if a wiki admin chooses "one-column" in the config, the template
should have a one-column layout; and if a wiki admin chooses
"two-column", the template should have a two-column layout.

Also, not too few templates rely on a sidebar. Having an option for a DokuWiki sidebar would also mean to be able to *disable* that sidebar. And so on ...

You can read up on our previous discussion here: //www.freelists.org/archives/dokuwiki/07-2007/msg00071.html

The big advantage of having *one* standard 2/multi-column layout would
be, that there would be a guidline for all plugin-developers, who
develop plugins which generate output to the wiki other then main

I do not understand that.
What would plugin developers need a possibility for two-or-more column layouts for? I cannot think of a situtation in which that would be of any importance ... Can you name an example please? What do you mean by "which generate output to the wiki other then main content"?

content. And it would allow a much more comfortable way to layout the
wiki for non HTML/CSS experts, by simply choosing the desired modul and
its position ie. in an admin layout configuration "area".

With "to layout the wiki" do you simply mean "have a left or right or left and right sidebar"? For me "layout" is much more ...
This sounds more like a request for a new template!?

There are many two-or-more-column DokuWiki templates out there. And a
few of them are really good, too.
The term 'many' is relative. In comparison to some other wikis/ cms
systems I would say it's rather a little. With your last sentence I
fully agree.

So, do you ask for *more* multi-column layout templates in general or *just one* (= the default template)? If you are asking for just one, why not any other already existing one? If you are asking for more, why would making the default template one help?

3. IE is getting better. (Yes!) In the not-too-far-away future we
might not need to use any "special attendances" any more ...

   3. And again the term 'not-too-far-away future' is relative. Who'll
      exactly know how things change in the future and what does it help
      users today? I'll very much believe that it will take still some
      more years before we'll reach a point where one standard compliant
      css will be enough for your website. I don't wanna wait so long.

Well, IE7 is already a reality *today*. It is still not perfect, but
good enough to be able to make most "modern layouts" without special treatment.

Anika