[dokuwiki] Re: different Stylesheets with Conditional Comments

  • From: Gunther Pilz <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:17:11 +0200

Hi Anika!

Anika Henke schrieb:
> BTW, I have never ever heard of serving IE with *only one* css file
> especially created for it.
> Serving an *additional* css file for IE, yes, that is common practice.
> But in creating one complete css file only for IE, what is the benefit
> in that? Did I miss anything new on the "css market"?

Often the special IE css file is served as an additional file because
normally the additional file isn't very large. This means that IE first
loads the complete standard compliant css file and then his special css
file to overwrite some things from the first file. In consequence this
leads to an enlargement of traffic and to an additional http request.
For small sites with only a few visitors a day this is normally no
severe problem, but when your website gets larger and you have thousands
of pageclicks a day, then this point is becoming essential.

As always there are two sides of the medal. Separating the two files
completly from each other means you always have to change two files in
case of making changes to the css.

One thing to remember is also, that it's not only the size of the second
css file, but every http request produces an overhang which means that
traffic is increased even if the respond is a 304 - not modified.

Therefor I think that it's best practice to serve as less different css
files as possible. Same as is done by DW.

Gunther

PS: As your email addy implies I guess you speak german. My english
isn't that perfect to explain these technical details with the required
correctness. If you are really interested in this topic, please feel
free to answer in the Dokuwiki User Forum (see
http://forum.dokuwiki.org/thread/1177). My excuse to all non-german
speaking folks.