[dokuwiki] Re: Licensing options in the installer

  • From: TNHarris <telliamed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 03:35:38 -0400

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012, at 12:05 PM, Andreas Gohr wrote:

> > The link could just point to a general FAQ about copyright. This looks
> > sufficiently informative: http://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/faq/
>
> But is in English only.

And Spanish and French. Wikipedia has many translations, but is overly
verbose. And other pages I've looked at are specific to a particular
country.

> How about adding a list of educational sites about copyright and
> license choosing (like the one above) to the config:license page and
> add a link to that page in the installer?

Or just add the links to the installer's wiki page. That is, link to
config:license and have more detailed information there, so as not to
duplicate content.

> > Perhaps we could merely change the prompt string. "Please choose the
> > license notice that will be displayed." This implies the current meaning
> > of "the license you want to put your content under", but also suggests
> > that you can choose "None" if an open license is not applicable.
>
> This sounds good to me. Send a pull request or open a ticket.

I'm working on the $INPUT wrappers at the moment. So I'll get to that
next. I filed a bug on "None" being untranslated.

Would you like to keep the label for no license as "None" or "None or
other"? Or the popular "None of the above" (after moving the choice to
the end of the list).

> Case in point: if you go to one of the linked URLs, choose a different
> language at the bottom (eg. German) and then click through to the
> legalese ("rechtsverbindlichen Lizenzvertrages") you're back to an
> English version.

Point taken. They only translate the plain-language description. For
DokuWiki, the license displayed in the template footer is a legal notice
and should be English. But the message displayed on the edit form is
informational. I was about to say that it would add complexity to carry
two strings, but maybe not. The description in license.conf is English
thus can be used by tpl_license() while html_edit could use
$lang["lic_".$license].

--
tom <telliamed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html