[dokuwiki] Re: Licensing options in the installer

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 08:56:48 +0200

Hi,

> The CC non-derivative licenses aren't listed. [1] [2]

Yes, and I don't believe ND licenses are useful for wiki contents at
all. One can always add its own licenses to conf/license.local.php
though.

> Instead of "None", the unlicensed option should perhaps say "All rights
> reserved".

No. Maybe it should be "None chosen". It simply means that. There is
no explicit license chosen and and all copy and usage rights fall to
their default, whatever that may be in your case. Eg. in a company
probably everything is owned by the company by default.

I wouldn't recommend this setting fr any public wiki though.

> When a wiki is unlicensed, the editor does not show an ownership notice.
> I think it should say "by editing this page you agree to give the wiki
> owner rights to use, modify, and distribute". Or something like that. (I
> don't program in legalese.)

No. See above.

One might argue to introduce an additional "all rights reserved"
option which would do that, but since I'm not a lawyer I'd have no
idea how phrase and where to link this.

> There could also be an option for the URL of
> a custom copyright page (or a wiki page?). The edit form and tpl_license
> can display a generic copyright graphic with the link.

Again, you can set up whatever license you want through the
license.local.php file. Maybe we should link to
http://www.dokuwiki.org/config:license from the installer.

> This sounds like what a wiki owner would want will almost always be CC0.

I agree.

> The only time you'd use public domain is if you were making a read-only
> wiki using previously published material.

Which might be what someone uses DokuWiki for, so having PD there
makes sense IMHO.

> The installer only says "choose the license" without much guidance to
> the administrator.

I think that's beyond the scope of the installer and the DokuWiki
project. Maybe we could link to the CC website for that. I think to
remember them having some license comparison matrix as well.

> That's why there are links, but the full
> text of the licenses may be confusing to someone who isn't a lawyer.

All links point to CC's simple explanations first, full license texts
are linked from there.

> I also think the installer should mention that all options can be
> changed after the wiki has been setup.

Well that's true for all options in the installer, not the license
only. However changing the license later (after use) isn't as easy
(legally) as all the other options ;-)

splitbrain.org