[dokuwiki] Licensing options in the installer

  • From: TNHarris <telliamed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 00:44:10 -0400

A few observations about how licensing options are presented by the
installer.

The CC non-derivative licenses aren't listed. [1] [2]

Instead of "None", the unlicensed option should perhaps say "All rights
reserved". This string needs to be translated. None of the license names
are translated, for that matter. "None" makes it sound like there's no
copyright.

When a wiki is unlicensed, the editor does not show an ownership notice.
I think it should say "by editing this page you agree to give the wiki
owner rights to use, modify, and distribute". Or something like that. (I
don't program in legalese.) There could also be an option for the URL of
a custom copyright page (or a wiki page?). The edit form and tpl_license
can display a generic copyright graphic with the link.

I read this in the FAQ about CC0[3]

> CC0 and PDM differ in important respects and have distinct purposes.
> CC0 is intended for use only by authors or holders of copyright and
> related or neighboring rights (including sui generis database rights),
> in connection with works that are still subject to those rights in one
> or more jurisdictions. PDM, on the other hand, can be used by anyone,
> and is intended for use with works that are already free of known
> copyright restrictions throughout the world.

This sounds like what a wiki owner would want will almost always be CC0.
The only time you'd use public domain is if you were making a read-only
wiki using previously published material. If it's anything new, even a
modification of existing content, you'd need to apply CC0 to make it
public domain. So perhaps there should not be an option for public
domain, and we can display CC0 as "CC0 1.0 Universal (Public Domain)".

The installer only says "choose the license" without much guidance to
the administrator. The form could print a brief description of each
license. Such as "Copying and modification are allowed. Must credit the
original author." for CC-BY. That's why there are links, but the full
text of the licenses may be confusing to someone who isn't a lawyer.

I also think the installer should mention that all options can be
changed after the wiki has been setup.

[1] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0
[2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
[3] http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC0_FAQ