[dokuwiki] Re: Help with DokuWiki as a school project

  • From: rezlemic@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:33:10 +0100

Hi,

I have studied your code refering to problems "Remote API abstraction" and "jQuerry rewrite" today and I have a few questions.

Excerpts from Michael's message of 2011-02-25 16:08:20 +0100:

Excerpts from rezlemic's message of 2011-02-24 18:19:38 +0100:
[...]
I would like to ask you if you can help me with that. I would be glad
if you have something for me (develop a feature, finding and solving
bugs, solving any other issue).

There is our bugtracker at http://bugs.dokuwiki.org/, but from a short
look I couldn't find anything really useful for you. You can still try
to find something that sounds suited for you.

My work must have been dome till 21.4.2011, so I am limited by the
time. I may spend approximately 20-30 hours of net time on project. Do
you think you have somethink for me? I have to finish my project till
21.4.2011 and show my work to my lector, it must be a finished,
complete "feature". After passing my subject I can help you in the
future too.

That sounds great. Thank you for your interest in DokuWiki! There are
two ideas that come into my mind:

1-
We are currently preparing our application for the Google Summer of
Code. The not yet finished list of ideas can be found at
http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:gsoc#ideas. However they are aimed at GSOC
and thus more for 12 weeks than for 20-30 hours. Nevertheless there is
one idea that is still in the list but imho too small for GSOC:
http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:ideas:remote_api. I might be wrong, but I
think this would fit into 20-30 hours. Have a look at
lib/exe/xmlrpc.php: There is very little in that dokuwiki_xmlrpc_server
class that is specific to XML-RPC: it's basically just that one call to
serve() and the error class. [...]

Did I get it right, that you need from me:
- rewrite the dokuwiki_xmlrpc_server class to be more independent? Could you send me more instructions, please?

2-
There is a jQuery rewrite in progress. However Pierre Spring who started
that rewrite currently hasn't the time for finishing it. You can find
his work at https://github.com/caillou/dokuwiki-jQuery (look at the
commits to get an impression what he has changed and what this rewrite
is about). There have been some changes to the JS code of DokuWiki in the meantime that need to be merged with his work (there is one file that is automatically merged that might need to be adapted and there are conflicts in > lib/scripts/linkwiz.js and lib/scripts/media.js, but I don't think it's that > problematic). [...]

Did I get it right, that you need:
1) merge the files lib/scripts/linkwiz.js and lib/scripts/media.js from Pierre Spring with these files in the files in the main repository https://github.com/splitbrain/dokuwiki ?
2) continue to Pierre's work ?

And at the conclusion one more question: If I choose a topic to solve, should I write you which one and should I continuously inform you about my worok? Or should I work on it in quiet and write you when I will have something for you?

I will be glad if you answer my questions.

Best regards,
Michal