[dokuwiki] [GSoC 2011] Plugin and template manager enhancement

  • From: Piyush Mishra <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 03:10:25 +0530

Hello,
I am Piyush Mishra from India. I am interested in applying for plugin
and template manager rewrite and enhancement project in GSoC 2011.
I am sorry I am not very good at art so this may look a little messy
but it gives out all the basics that I planned / listed on the ideas
page.

http://www.piyushmishra.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/plugin_manager_demo.png
http://www.piyushmishra.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/plugin_manager_demo-759x1024.png
(same file for less wide screens)

Plugins can be filtered by name / type  and tags associated with them.
The Info box  is moved form the right side to a hovering JQuery plugin
(thickbox) which will default to a div if something goes wrong.
Plugins are downloaded as disabled by default.
This can be implemented by saving the plugin data as a cached array in
[DOKU_CONF] perhaps or may be a "[DOKU_PLUGIN] .cache" folder to allow
using in farm mode also.
Pagination to keep the page smaller and easier to manage.
As Michael mentioned in the other thread, Check boxes with select all
and select the ones in need of upgrade will help
Active plugins come up in green and on top for highest interactivity.
Probably adding a filter for active and inactive plugins will help.
Plugins with Missing Dependencies or high security issues come up in red.
A rating /feed back system on the side for users with online Wikis to
help in giving out better search results.
Auto checking updates from plugin repo (pseudo cron) daily.
Downloading a full list of plugins every day / 2 days and searching/
browsing from local cache to speed up local search and lower load on
DokuWiki.org server.

They can be searched from the Search tab
[Connecting to the repository plugin on dokuwiki.org (Not shown here)]
on search results page , the layout is similar to the Installed
plugins with 2 options "Download" and "Download and Activate".
(Plugins and templates get downloaded disabled by default)
the search results can be color coded for "security" and a link for
"security" will be present in the "Actions" column. Here the warning
associated with the plugin and feedbacks from other developers and
DokuWiki core family can be shown.
A latest plugins box for listing all the newest releases.

The Browse tab is so that people can browse from their cached plugin
list from the server.
update now to get the latest xml list of all plugins from the server.
An option to upload the xml file downloaded from plugin repository
having the full list of plugins on the repo. (for offline wikis)
Popular tags , and an option to use the Download URL as in current version.

Templates can be downloaded just like plugins and only 1 can be
activated at a time.

If time permits:
Adding a tab for plugin wishlists.
Mark and export a list of plugins you need, upload that list and
download all the plugins at once (one after the other but with 1
click) Will be highly useful for offline wikis.
Preview option for templates

Thanks a lot Michitux (Michael Hamann) for being so supportive and
encouraging me to try despite being completely new to the code base
--
Regards
Piyush Mishra