[dokuwiki] Re: 304 Not Modified Response and Search Engine Bots

  • From: Peter Yu <web@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 20:40:27 -0400

On 8/12/2010 2:40 PM, Andreas Gohr wrote:
AFAIK, the RFC states that clients should always send the exact date
they received from the webserver when requesting the resource. Seems
like I either remember it wrong or Google is violating the RFC there.

I looked at the HTTP protocol document it says that clients should be aware that some servers might use an exact match and should send the last modified date they got from last time.

However, I noticed that no bots get 304s when the file is served by fetch.php.

I made the change on a live site to see what Google would do but the bot didn't re-visit in the last few days. My site is on a shared web host so I don't think I can capture the actual header data to see what's going on.

But I guess it wouldn't hurt to play along there anyway. Can you send
a git patch?

Once I figure out how to do it. But I am wondering if the date string sent in the IF-MODIFIED-SINCE header needs to be sanitized before being passed into strtotime()? I don't know enough about PHP to find out.