[dokuwiki] Re: 304 Not Modified Response and Search Engine Bots

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:40:47 +0200

> For #1, is it possible to include If-Modified-Since support for pages?

No. Because there's all kind of stuff that is user dependent and
changes with each request. Simplest example: the trace of visited
pages.

> For #2, I did a bit of investigation and found the function
> http_conditionalRequest in inc/httputils.php. It looks like the 304 is only
> issued if the IF-MODIFIED-SINCE date sent by the user agent is exactly equal
> to the $last_modified date.

AFAIK, the RFC states that clients should always send the exact date
they received from the webserver when requesting the resource. Seems
like I either remember it wrong or Google is violating the RFC there.

But I guess it wouldn't hurt to play along there anyway. Can you send
a git patch?

splitbrain.org