[dokuwiki] Media/image files, isn't there a simpler way?

  • From: Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:03:14 +0100

I'm running dokuwiki on a home machine to collect and maintain various
bits of information.

The existing way of adding links to 'media' files seems very clumsy,
especially in my situation where I can copy files directly to the
system where the server is running.

As it is, if I use the dokuwiki editor, I have to browse my way to
where the file is stored, select it (which can take a fair old while),
upload it, then select it and it gets copied to a sub-directory of
media corresponding to the wiki page namespace.  Then, if I happen to
move the wiki page that refers to it, or if I want to add another
reference to it I either need to move it somewhere else in the media
hierarchy or leave it where it is with a misleading path.

Would it not be simpler and easier to store media files in the same
place as the wiki text files?  Then (if you used relative addressing)
they would move around with the wiki namespace and generating links to
them from other pages would be much simpler and easier.

All it needs is for dokuwiki to allow a links something like:-
    [[image.png|Picture of me]]

--
Chris Green