[delphizip] Re: New format

  • From: Alistair George <bigal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gslurink <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:54:10 +1300

Hello Gerard,
g> backups. I really hate it when I cannot get my file back from an old backup
g> or only with a specific application that I have to search for and reinstall
g> to get the file back.
Absolutely.
g> We (I) have to make an inventory of the desired features, and see if these
g> are feasable while maintaining basic readability with existing zip
g> applications, or if this is obstructing proper design and performance too
much.
Good thoughts.
g> I am not familiar with the way disk spanning is used in the zip format and
g> I don't know how it would translate to using CD-ROMs or CDRWs instead of
g> floppies. In general I can say following:
Myapp  maximises use of spanning in DelphiZIP to the full. If you want a beta of
it let me know by personal return email and I will send you a copy direct.

g> I imagine that when I do a backup of my 80 GB harddisk and I want a restore
g> of a particular file, I don't want to start the juggling with CD-disks as I
g> used to do with the floppies. The most comfortable would be to have a
g> Central Directory on each disk, for the particular files with are on it. On
g> the last disk there could be a kind of overall Central Directory or special
g> file only known by the application.
Thats the story, but why not have the central directory on every disk so that
the user will be prompted to put in disk#3 if they have the wrong disk?
with the central directory on the last disk compliant with both ZIP formats.
g> particular with incremental and differential backups. I have read that the
g> coming dot-net server has acknowledged and addressed this problem.
Sorry;  not  understood. If I do several backups including refresh and there are
several  versions  of the same file it is obvious the date time in the directory
window which makes selection not a problem.

Regarding 255char long filenames. The importance of being able to handle a large
number of files is important, but somewhere there will likely need be some
trade-offs in that area.

--
Regards,
 Alistair+