[delphizip] Re: New format

  • From: Eric.Engler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:36:10 -0500

The risk is that some zip programs may not reliably handle zip archives with
so many files in them.

You also may have some concerns about our own code. How many files is "too
many"? We don't have a specific number that we know of, and the higher you
go the more risk you will be assuming.

As an analogy, consider a small bridge that doesn't have a published load
limit. A guy with a cart can easily go across the bridge. A small car can
easily go across. But what about a big truck?

If you have an archive format that pays close attention to handling a large
number of files, and it supports very large files, then there's less risk.
You may also have a specific number of files that you know will work fine,
and it will be a very large number!

Eric