[delphizip] Max length of a file name & backward compatibility

  • From: "James Turner" <james.d.h.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 01:25:43 -0000

RE : max length of a file name

Where does this figure of 4096 come from? To the best of my knowledge,
excluding NT/Unicode, the maximium length of a file name path under Windows
is 260.

RE : New format - backward compatibility.

I don't understand the feeling that recovering old backup data would be a
problem. Provided you have a Z++ reader you're ok. And as I said before, a
Z++ program should be able to read and write standard zip files. The only
way a problem would arise would be if you needed to recover files from a Z++
archive but you didn't have a Z++ reader. But that problem is true for any
file format - compressed or otherwise.

RE : Disk spanning

I'd have to check to be certain, but I think that it is possible to write a
central directory on each disk within the existing zip definition. The final
disk would still have to contain the complete central dir. There are two
problems though.
 1 : A standard span assembler might get confused (but writing a new span
assembler would be pretty easy).
 2 : A single compressed file can span several disks within a span set. This
isn't really a problem but it would need some thinking through.

As an alternative, the local disk directories could be written into an
additional file on each disk - this would maintain compatibility with the
zip standard.

James Turner