[ddots-l] Re: transfering files

  • From: "Craig Spencer" <craigspencer2.0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 05:43:09 -0400

Thanks Phil!

--------------------
I cried because I had no shoes
                                               until I met a man who had no
feet.
(A Persian Proverb)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Phil Muir
  To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 7:40 AM
  Subject: [ddots-l] Re: transfering files

  Craig wrote: Hi everyone, I am preparing my cakewalk projects that are on my
laptop to be transferred to my new DAW.

  What is the difference between saving a project as a "CWB" file and saving
the project in its own folder where the project's audio and the CWP would reside
  (per project folder)?

  Phil replied: saving the project into a bundle puts all of the data into one
big file.  Disadvantages, if the bundle becomes corrupted then, you could loos
all of the data in it as you can't open a corrupted bundle.  Using per project
files is better, as if one of the wave files in the project becomes corrupted,
you don't loose all of the data as you can still open the .cwp file.  You could
save out all of your projects as bundles then, unpack the bundles and save
them.  If you do that, Sonar will assume that you wish to save them in per
project folders.

  Craig wrote: I know I should have done this from the beginning but I didn't.

  Phil replied: that would have been easier, smile.

  Craig wrote: Also, on the laptop, the samples for softsynths were on the same
hard drive as the OS. ON the new DAW, they are going to be on a separate drive.
 Would
  Cakewalk be able to find the softsynth for older projects done on the laptop
that would be transferred to the DAW?

  Phil replied: usually when you go to open a softsynthe, it will ask you to
brows for the sample data.

  Craig wrote: And finally, I have tweaked some effect presets is there a way
to save the tweaked presets on to a removable drive to transfer to the DAW?

  Phil replied: yes, you can use Sonar's Plug-in manager for that.

  Craig wrote: BTW, I will be going from Sonar 6.2 producer to 7.0 producer

  Phil replied: cool!

  Craig wrote: Thanks for your time.

  Phil replied: no problem!

  Regards, Phil Muir