[ddots-l] Re: Yamaha MO8 with Sonar 8.3 need help with setup!

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:45:34 -0400

Are you connecting the Mo8 to the computer over MIDI? If so, you'll need a MIDI
interface, need to install the drivers for it, and will need to enable the
ports that the interface provides in Sonar's Options|MIDI Devices dialog.

Are you connecting over USB? If so, you need the Yamaha USB MIDI driver
installed on your computer, and will similarly need to enable its ports in
Sonar's Options|MIDI Devices.

The Motif can connect to the cmputer over MIDI or USB virtual MIDI, but not
both at the same time. To select which mode you plan to use, you need to go in
to Utility mode on the Motif, press F5 for remote, SF2 for MIDI, then set the
Mo to the right mode (USB or MIDI). I've never used that model of Motif, so
you'll need sighted help. Once you make the setting, press the store button to
save it. If you don't, and power off the Mo, you'll lose the change.

Once the Mo can send/receive data to/from Sonar, you will need an instrument
definition, or else, when you switch voices on the Mo, you'll just see things
like bank 17, patch 108. To see actual voice names, you need the instrument
definition. You can probably use the one for the Motif ES. You'll need to
Google for it, or get the MoAccess archive off of
bryansmart.com<http://bryansmart.com> and hunt it up. If you've never loaded an
instrument definition, then you'll probably need help with that, also. Lots of
people on the list here should be able to help you with that part.

Bryan

On Aug 29, 2011, at 3:37 AM, Roger Baccus wrote:

I am using the MO8, Sonar 8.3 and CT scripts. I have not been able to record &
playback midi. What settings do I need to be aware of on the MO8 and how should
I have Sonar configured? Any suggestiions on where to start would be
appreciated. Also, I have the MOTU 8 PRE, which is working well for recording
and playback of audio.

Cheers!

http://www.rogerbaccus.com