[ddots-l] Re: Sonar cannot be used with out computer restarting itself

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 13:38:43 -0400

Well you don't have to and definitely shouldn't completely turn windows
update off, because a windows computer without updates that is connected to
the internet is like building a house in front of a river that is known to
flood  a few times a year lol!
What you should do is have windows notify you of new updates, but not
auomatically download or install them. When windows notifies you of new
updates, you'll check, and install the security ones, and check everything
else to see what it does. If there are any driver updates, uncheck those,
install your security stuff, and then do a second pass (after a restart) and
then install your driver updates; this way you can undo those if they cause
an issue, without getting rid of the security updates. Whatever you do
though, *don't* disable windows update if you're connected to the internet!
However, this doesn't eliminate the malware prolem, and having antivirus and
all that is not 100% fail-proof either.

Here are a few things to try with sonar before going further:
1. Start sonar through the start menu, (don't do a safe mode
start-shift+enter, just a regular start). If a blank project opens, good, if
not (depends on your settings), press ctrl+n to open one. What happens then,
does windows crash? Wait a while, does the project just sit there?
2. Assuming the first step passed, now go ahead and load a soft synth like
tts-1, keep it basic. Once loaded, find a patch, and start playing. What
happens now? If  you're still alive, keep playing for a few minutes. If
you're still good, try recording a line with the synth, then play it back a
few times. Wha happens?
3. Now, add a different synth, another. First play it live for a bit, then
play back the previous recorded line and play along with it. If you're still
good, record something on the new synth... Play that back a few times. No
crashes?

If all this worked out, close the project with ctrl+f4, and open one of your
problematic projects by using sonar's open dialog (ctrl+o). Play it back,
what happens? If it crashes, the question is do you have actual audio on the
project, not audio being played by soft synths controlled by midi, but
actual recorded audio like vocals, a guitar etc.

If this crashed way back in the process, write me and let me know where; see
what we can figure out.

System restore will help you if the problem started a bit ago and is related
to a file corrupted or update etc. Many times malware will still be present
after system restore, if it doesn't get disabled by the malware.

Regards, D!J!X!