[ddots-l] Re: Selecting individual MIDI events for length adjustment

  • From: "Kevin L. Gibbs" <kevjazz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 22:03:17 -0800

Phil,
    While I hadn't considered that, the reason was because I was looking
for a more efficient means of selecting single events or discontiguous
ones, much like you would choose discontiguous files for copying and
pasting in Windows Explorer with a CTRL Space bar.  The situation is
somewhat complicated:
1.  I'm studying a wide variety of subjects ranging from MIDI sequencing
with VSL to orchestration and, I suppose, composition, with a guy who
has my identical rig except that he's sighted.
2.  We each have multiple computers with Sonar and Giga and VSL.  The
thing is that he was teaching me how to humanize my MIDI performances
"THE HARD WAY," by altering the most minute details of each and every
event in the sequence, including adding special expression and other
controller events.  One is supposed to be able to do this stuff more
efficiently using VSL's Performance Tool in the Giga version, or by
using their new Vienna Instruments.  However, I wanted to learn the guts
of really finely detailed sequencing by doing stuff literally by hand.
    He was using the Process Length command to alter durations after we
had put some tempo changes in the sequence.  I later changed these
tempos after which some of the note releases sounded off.  Originally, I
thought the notes were sounding slurred because the durations needed
adjustment after I'd changed the tempos.    That wasn't the problem.
    The fact was that we also had a special CC 18 message that altered
ADSR in Giga.  AS it happened, certain values of this Controller 18
message were effective when paired with the tempos we had.  However,
when I changed the tempo map, it turned out that the ADSR changes just
sounded like badly slurred notes.  I wondered if there was something
that the process length command did that was over and above simply
changing the duration value in the event list.  There wasn't.  The
reason why these CC 18 messages failed to provide the desired effect
when paired with alternate tempos was because, as you know,  ADSR is a
fixed  thing.  The fact was that the slurs sounded bad because the ADSR
was wrong for notes progressing at the tempos I had set.  Follow?  I
guess I'll just put that in my soon-to-be best seller, "Press the Reset
Button, (volume 12, revised edition.)"
duh-------
BTW this will be of interest to any of you who exchange cwp files with
sighted colleagues who use alternate screen layouts.  If you open a file
you've gotten from another Sonar user and it starts talking about how
the inspector isn't displaying and successive F6s only appear to refresh
the inspector, It's probably because the project work space is a
fraction of what CT expects.  By going  to the window menu and choosing
either cascade, tile in rows or tile in columns, you will cause the work
space to expand to occupy the entire screen as we're accustomed to.
From there, it's a simple matter to do an F6 and refresh the screen so
that all will be well.

Kevin