[ddots-l] Inquiry: Not all Outs showing up in Sonar

  • From: Bobbi Blood <phantomess666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 13:41:52 -0700

Greetings,

Last Thursday I experienced what I think was a power surge.  The UPS (think
that's the right word for a box with a battery in it which keeps things from
shutting down when power goes mad,) and I got everything back up and running
but my Firebox interface.  The computer stayed on, I didn't lose anything in
the project I was working on and was able to save and shut the computer down.

On Friday, I went back to the computer expecting everything to work properly.
It didn't.  The project appeared to play but I was not getting any sound.  At
first I didn't think to check the inputs and outputs, because I assumed they'd
be right where they were after I'd saved the day before.

I forced the Firebox to reset itself by changing its CPU setting from high to
medium and back again, and still no sound.  I figured the next best step would
be to do a disconnect and reconnect.  What with the tangle of cables in the
back of my computer, I wasn't about to reach back there and try to unplug the
interface from the computer, so I thought I'd wait for my sighted assistant to
get back.  Long story short, we never got round to trying to reconnect the
thing, and here I am today, back at the computer.  The project plays, but no
sound.

I check my inputs, which are normal, just where I left them, and looked at the
outs, which are normal due to my having everything going to different buses.
The master bus's output, however,  was no longer set to the main outs of the
firebox, which solves the problem of why I wasn't getting any sound.  The
problem is that when I went to switch it back to the main outs, they weren't
there.  Why would everything show up just fine but for the main outs?

I thought to disconnect the firebox from the computer by unplugging the
firewire cable from the interface rather than the computer.  This appeared to
do the same thing as the previous reset, and Sonar isn't seeing my main outs.
Would it really make that much of a difference if I were to disconnect the
cable from the computer's side rather than simply disconnecting it from the
Firebox?

I really could use a suggestion or two, as I've tried everything I can think of
short of uninstalling and reinstalling the interface's drivers.  I don't see
how it could be a driver problem, as this seems to be purely related to the
surge.  I'm going to have my sighted assistant disconnect the thing from the
computer's side later today, to see if that changes anything, but my fear is
that I'll get the same results as before.  Does anyone have any suggestions as
to what else I can try in the meantime?

Most Sincerely,

Bobbi