[ddots-l] How to Use Sibelius to Prepare Parts for Multi-Instrumentalists

  • From: "William R. McCann" <BillList1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:09:12 -0500

My thanks to Patricia Elena Vlieg who sent me the following "how to" info.
She's composing a part for an alto saxophone player.  At some point in the
piece he will switch to flute.  The informal term to describe this situation
is to say that he has a "double".  That is, he plays alto and doubles on
flute.

Patricia Elena asks me how to instruct Sibelius to print one part showing
the music for both instruments.  I told her that I simply did not know how
to do so.  Here is her resourceful answer:

Hi, Bill, I was actually able to figure it out without calling the Sibelius
people. You would write your instruments, each in one part (flute on one
staff
and alto sax on another one, for example). Then, when you extract the parts,
you would extract "all selected staves" and you make sure you have the flute
and the alto sax on one single part.
On the part, you will see both staff, one for the flute and one for the alto
sax. Then, you will select all and go to the "layout menu". There, you will
select "hide empty staves".

Bill