[ddots-l] Re: How to Use Sibelius to Prepare Parts for Multi-Instrumentalists

  • From: "Kevin L. Gibbs" <kevjazz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:57:40 -0800

I'm going to keep this.  Thanks.
K.

-----Original Message-----
From: ddots-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ddots-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of William R. McCann
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 11:09 AM
To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ddots-l] How to Use Sibelius to Prepare Parts for
Multi-Instrumentalists

My thanks to Patricia Elena Vlieg who sent me the following "how to"
info.  She's composing a part for an alto saxophone player.  At some
point in the piece he will switch to flute.  The informal term to
describe this situation is to say that he has a "double".  That is, he
plays alto and doubles on flute.

Patricia Elena asks me how to instruct Sibelius to print one part
showing the music for both instruments.  I told her that I simply did
not know how to do so.  Here is her resourceful answer:

Hi, Bill, I was actually able to figure it out without calling the
Sibelius people. You would write your instruments, each in one part
(flute on one staff
and alto sax on another one, for example). Then, when you extract the
parts, you would extract "all selected staves" and you make sure you
have the flute
and the alto sax on one single part.
On the part, you will see both staff, one for the flute and one for the
alto sax. Then, you will select all and go to the "layout menu". There,
you will
select "hide empty staves".

Bill