[ddots-l] Re: EQing tracks

  • From: Christopher Bartlett <cwbtt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:12:10 -0700

At 04:29 AM 10/14/2005, you wrote:

Kurt, you got it right on the nail. But, let's say I load an EQ, I set my low-shelf, I want to cut from 300 to 200 kHz, what parameters in an EQ I should look for to set these numbers? In other words, what would my Q set to, and what band would I use and which ones would I disable, in an EQ that has multiple bands.

Ok, slow down. It's 200 hz to 300 hz as 200 khz is way too high to hear. If you use a dip filter with a center frequency of 250 hz and a q-value of I think 3, you will cover those frequencies. Q = center freq / band width, so 250 / 100 = 2.5. OK, I'm a dork, but you see how it works.

Another question:
Now, since I need to cut bass, I am using a low-shelve: What is the cut off frequency that would tell someone to use a high or a low-shelve on a given track? Can I say, any frequency below 400, 500, kHz call for a low-shelve?
Thanks guys.

Rod
Middle C is something like 264 hz. Each octave down halves the frequency, so two octaves below middle C is something like 65 hz. This corresponds to the lowest note on a cello.

        Chris Bartlett