[ddots-l] Re: Cakewalk V100 Studio audio controller and control surface?

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 14:07:42 -0400

Bryan

The V-Studio 100 might work for you, but there are important limitations that
you should consider.

As an audio interface, you have only a single mic input and a single instrument
input. I'm also fairly sure that the XLR mic input doesn't provide 48V power
for condenser microphones.

As a control surface, the V-Studio provides sliders to use as track volumes
(not motorized and not touch-sensitive), 8 buttons to use as mute/solo
controls, and transport keys (play/stop/forward/back/record). This barely even
qualifies as a control surface. What is missing, compared with even a basic
control surface like the BCF2000? No assignable knobs. You therefore don't get
control of track pan position, EQ, or plug-in parameters. No assignable
function keys. No support for control pedals.

Bryan Smart
Dancing Dots Technical Support
Phone: +1-610-500-5317

On Mar 29, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Bill
<billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
 wrote:

Hi, Stacy,

I’ll ask Bryan to comment on specifics but I can say that we have not sold too
many of these units.  On paper, they look like a great deal but I can imagine
that one potential downside to acquiring this all-in-one audio solution is
that, if it goes down, you are totally out of the game.  That is, as opposed to
having separate mixer, audio interface, and control surface in a modular set up
that most audio producers I know do have.

If you do end up wanting to order one, please contact us at Dancing Dots.
Current price is 499 USD.

Best,
Bill