[ddots-l] Bringing pre-existing midi files into Sonar.

  • From: John Schucker <gwynn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 21:48:12 -0600

Hi all, I have a question about bringing pre-existing midi files into Sonar. If I open a midi, it seems to preserve the tempo and such. However, if I make a project and create a midi track, because importing midi isn't available without a midi track, it sets the tempo to Sonar's default and it seems to destroy the first track's patch and channel selection.

I'm asking about this because I was trying to fix a midi for a friend, all the tracks were named track 1, etc. So I opened the midi, inserted the cakewalk tts1, routed all the outputs to it, and then picked the first bank in the track properties of each midi track. As soon as i did that, the patches changed from numbers to instrument names, and I then renamed each track to its instrument name. However, when I saved it as a project, the project was actually empty, apparently it wanted me to save it as a midi file again. But suppose I want to work with the midi file at its actual tempo and all? How do I do this, get the file into Sonar, preserving the original midi attributes, but also save it as a project, containing that midi data and any softsynths and such I insert? I made a project and opened the midi, and that gave me midi tracks. I then did the inserting of tts1 and such. I figured since it was a project, I could hit ctrl-s to save it, should I have used save as instead? It definitely saved it as a project file using ctrl-s, but that project file was empty, heh.