[dd251] Re: RSA proposed revisions to DD251:2000

  • From: "david.robinson" <david.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dd251@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:26:43 +0100

Technical Committee met on 8/8 to finalise the BASA response to BSI on
DD251.Because systems designed to 251 are sized for a max. of only 2
heads(Domestic) or 4 heads (Residential) to operate, then it is felt 251 is
not appropriate for large buildings or large compartments where Bs5306
should be used.
Clearly in the case of 251 if the first couple of heads do not extinguish
the fire(for whatever reason) then the building would be lost,whereas with
Bs5306 you have the comfort of the system being designed for perhaps 18
heads to open .In addition with BS5306 Life Safety risks you have the extra
features of duplicate supplies/valves etc so the system is live at all times
even when being maintained.
Should the risk include any compartments above a certain size ( ?  square
meters) then BS5306 would be more appropriate.
It is vitally important that the 100 year old record of sprinkler efficacy
is not put at risk by the inappropriate use of 251 on risks that the
standard has never been tested on.
DD251 has an important role to play in protecting single family dwellings/
small residential risks but lets not get carried away in applying 251 to
risks it has never been proven on.
The Basa submission will be finalised in the next couple of weeks

David Robinson(Hall fire Protection)