[dbaust] A legally blind paralympian asked to leave two restaurants and a hotel because of her guide dog.

  • From: Erika Webb <erikaweb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Erika Webb <erikaweb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:14:13 -0800 (PST)

Sent: Friday, 17 February, 2012 5:28 AM

From: "Frank Hall-Bentick"
<fhallbentick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Blind paralympian Sue-Ellen Lovett asked to leave two
restaurants, hotel

because of guide dog

. By Herald Sun

. Herald Sun

. February 17, 20126:28AM

Photo - Paralympic equestrian team member Sue- Ellen Lovett
with her guide dog in 2000. Source: Chris Pavlich / Herald Sun

http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sports/blind-paralympian-sue-ellen-lovett-

asked-to-leave-two-restuarants-hotel-because-of-guide-dog/story-e6frf56c-122

6273372019

A legally blind paralympian has filed a complaint with the
Human Rights Commission after being asked to leave two restaurants and a hotel
because of her guide dog.

Equestrian rider Sue-Ellen Lovett of Dubbo suffers from the
hereditary eye disease retinitis pigmentosa, which has left her unable to see
in one eye and with limited vision in the other.

She is classified as legally blind and has had a guide dog
for 32 years.

Ms Lovett said she was asked to leave the three premises in
the space of six hours, when she was in Picton, New South Wales, to buy a new
horse with her dog Prada early in February.

"We were asked to leave them all because of my guide
dog," she said.

"We were just asked to take the dog out and it was
policy that no dogs were allowed."

She left after "a long and tedious argument".

Ms Lovett said she contacted the Human Rights Commission the
following day and filed a complaint.

She said she relied totally on Prada, and described him as
"my independence and my mobility".

Federal Disability Discrimination Commissioner Graeme Innes
said he couldn't comment on specific cases, but said it was unlawful to refuse
a person entry to premises because of a guide dog.

"Refusing access to a person because they are
travelling with a guide dog is a breach of the Anti-Discrimination Act,"
he said.

Ms Lovett competed in the 1996 Paralympian Atlanta Games,
the 1999 Paralympian World Equestrian Games in Denmark and the 2000 Paralympian
Sydney Games.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sports/blind-paralympian-sue-ellen-lovett-asked-to-leave-two-restuarants-hotel-because-of-guide-dog/story-e6frf56c-1226273372019