[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:53:47 GMT

In message of 24 Mar, Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I find that SyncDiscs usually aborts mid-syncing and complains that
> something's locked to prevent changes being made to it.  If I re-Start,
> it'll continue past the point it got to before but stops further on
> with the same complaint.  I have to repeat this sequence several times
> before the process is complete, meaning I can't leave it to get on with
> it.
>
> (Iyonix, OS 5.13, SyncDiscs 1.10, primy and secy directories are IDE
> hard-discs, scrap directory and log file are set, 'copy newer' and
> 'copy extra' unselected, 'overwrite selected.)
>
> What's happening?  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

I consistently found that this happened with SyncDiscs on my Iyonix with
any Image-system files.  The only way to avoid it was to turn off all
applications that opened such files.  Curiously one that is almost
impossible to kill is ShareFS.

Anyhow the answer is nigh: go for 7backup from:

  http://www.7thsoftware.com/software.htm

While it is on that site as a command-line application, it now has a
graphical user interface.  As long as I kill off all comms programs
first it runs reliably from beginning to end of 30 Gbyte without any
error, taking around 40 minutes each night  The problem with Comms
programs is that they can change the files between the passes through
the disc, though the backup does continue, just reporting an error.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/