[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 & RO 6

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:16:56 +0100

In message <4eebfde2d9dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

After the RO 6 install, I moved a copy of the other !SparkFSNC out of its
lower level directory, up one level to the same dir in which resides the
in use !SparkFS and forgot I'd done that action, consequently because of
its name it was seen after the SparkFS...

So as others have said to disable an app, rename with no leading !, or rename the !Boot file inside the app. I suppose as with Ovation applets one could create a bit of code that replaced the existing !Run and allowed you to toggle apps on/off by e.g. double clicking with ctrl+shift held down.

I doubt this is really necessary.

However it is not uncommon for people to install more than one copy of an application and then get odd results. Often the fact that the spare is tucked away in some obscure directory doesn't stop it being booted (Desktop boot file) and just makes locating the problem harder.

F12
show *

will show you where the system variables for an app. are pointing.

Backup on this machine are not a problem, as they are stored on the second
Hardrive which is only used for backing up.

No problem until the PSU breaks and takes out both drives at once.

Martin, I can't change it, it is the same version as the top level
SparkFS, it's just configured very differently, so when needed I can just
quit the standard SparkFS and run the differently configured version.

ISTR most of the configuration of the SparkFS modules is done by *commands so you might be able to set up some obey files to change settings. For example setting Zip files to no compression should be easy via an obey file.

Another aspect which interests me did you *have* to change the IfExists utility for RISC OS 6? When I left it, the new TUs where for the Stuart Tyrrell machine, and as soon as I produced them they added a switch to turn off the feature. Given the limited audience I've been relaxed about building them into new versions of things.