[softwarelist] Re: Ovation Pro Windows 2.90

  • From: "David Pilling" <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:32:53 -0000

>But think of the expense here in (a) buying full versions of XP and

I'm not seriously suggesting you rush and give Billy Gates more money.

In my opinion XP is the best version yet of Windows, the home edition is not
that expensive, sometimes cheaper if you buy it with a piece of hardware.
From the user perspective XP is much like '98.

XP 64 the 64 bit version is slightly less stable and drivers for many things
are not available yet. I've done 64 bit versions of some of my stuff,
example of the problems, at the time there was no 64 bit specification for
TWAIN. I've long thought that for standard desktop software e.g. Ovation Pro
there is not much point in 64 bits. I'm told that gamers will be the
motivation for it entering the domestic environment. However I recently
managed to produce an Ovation document that approached the 2GB memory limit
for 32 bit XP, so maybe there is a need for it.

In due course the older versions of Windows will vanish and 64 bits will
come in.

(And why has your e-mail suddenly started to sprout "=20" and "=A0"?)

One of my postings went around the "loop" twice, I posted it to the wrong
address and had to repost it. That may explain it. If it is a long term
problem I'll look into it.