[softwarelist] Re: Import

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:33:14 +0200

In message <UXrPckD5X3YIFwIa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <99685cb54f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
> <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>Is OPW not able to do OLE2? That should allow it to directly embed any
>>kind of file from other OLE compliant applications, e.g., Word, Excel,
>>Xara Xtreme, etc. without the need for a filter.

> No, OPW can't do OLE2. This is one of the long list of things that must
> be done to make the program generally useful on Windows.

> It would bring with it a lot of problems like does one attempt to
> provide image processing, if not what happens to colour separations,
> what about direct PostScript rendering.

Yes, that is tricky. I suppose for image processing, colour separation
and direct PostScript you could always render the embedded file into a
bitmap and go on with that. Good enough for most purposes. The most
important thing is that the user can still edit the embedded graphic
in its original format.

Martin