[darkagebritain] Re: Pharaoh and Ffaraon Dande

  • From: "Matthew Richardson" <m.t.richardson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dark Age Britain Post" <darkagebritain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:10:31 -0500

On Jan 25, 2008 6:32 PM, Kevin Bowman <kbowman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One might note that Gildas draws distinct parallels between Ambrosius
> and Moses in the DEB.  Perhaps that too involved Gildas borrowing from
> an earlier tradition or source in which Ambrosius played Moses to
> Vortigern's Pharaoh (of course a different Pharaoh from the one who
> followed the advice of the Princes of Zoan). =20

Very interesting. One thing that comes to mind is that Ambrosius and
Vortigern are pictured as rivals in the HB. To my knowledge, this theme does
not explicitly appear in Gildas' writings. Ambrosius simply shows up some
time after the Adventus and begins fighting the Saxons. Might allusions to
Vortigern as Pharoah and Ambrosius as Moses be a hint that Gildas considered
them to be rivals or even enemies?

Matt

P.S. I'm very glad to see some posts on the list!