[darkagebritain] Re: Pharaoh and Ffaraon Dande

  • From: C C <vaeringjar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: darkagebritain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:04:10 -0800 (PST)

--- Kevin Bowman <kbowman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Recently I started thinking about the various
> connections between
> Vortigern and the Egyptian Pharaoh.

Most interesting, indeed. I think you may be on to
something here. Impressive.

> I wonder if it would not make more sense to
> hypothesize that the
> association between Vortigern and the title
> "Pharaoh" actually predated
> Gildas.  Then, when Gildas made the Biblical
> allusion to the Pharaoh and
> the princes of Zoan, then he was engaging in a
> clever multi-tiered
> literary conceit. =20

May well be.

> One might note that Gildas draws distinct parallels
> between Ambrosius
> and Moses in the DEB.  Perhaps that too involved
> Gildas borrowing from
> an earlier tradition or source in which Ambrosius
> played Moses to
> Vortigern's Pharaoh (of course a different Pharaoh
> from the one who
> followed the advice of the Princes of Zoan). =20

And you have immediately brought to mind a further
possible reference; if Ambrosius had anything to do
with the Britons leaving Britain for Gaul, could
allusions to Ambrosius as Moses be some reference to
delivrance and the promised land?

Dennis Clark

PS Is this the first posting on this list? It's the
first one I have received.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs