[dance-tech] Re: Multiple Projector Staging Question

  • From: Kirk Woolford <kirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nadjam@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:36:38 +0100

Dear Nadja,

The easiest and cheapest way to do this would be to put 2 dual-head graphics cards in a Mac or PC. Plug in your 3 projectors and set the cards to extend the desktop across all 3. Mac OSX does this automatically, most ATI and NVidia cards can do this under windows. Set each screen to 640x480 resolution

Then use Finalcut, After Effects or an other editod to make a single 1080p video with all 3 of your videos in a row at the top of the screen. 1080 HD format is 1920 pix wide, or exactly the width of 3 640pix wide images. You can then play a single video across all 3 screens. You can also edit the video to allow you to have images start and stop on different screens as if you had 3 synched projectors.

The Max/MSP - Jitter version would work, but you can do the same thing with Processing and the OSC libraries if you want to stick with Open source.

Good luck,
-Kirk

On 18 Apr 2008, at 04:59, nadjam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dear Dance-tech list,

I have a quick question for the group. Is there any software (or hardware) that would allow someone to link three digital projectors together, so that they could be cued to run at the same time?
(Linked to one computer.)

I'm working on a show where we have three projectors and three screens, and will be running three Flash movies on them. Our solution so far is to have three people on headsets at three laptops, and to have them all hit "go" at the same time. But this seems clunky, and could give us un- synchronized
results.  If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Dr. Nadja Masura

"Dance first, think later, it's the natural order", Samuel Beckett