[cst_2014_board] Re: Meeting with Mike Novelle

  • From: John Hutton <john.f.hutton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cst_2014_board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 16:23:31 -0600

Hi Heidi -

Thanks again for meeting with Mike. Finally got around to reading through your notes. Good stuff. Just some comments that came up as I was reading/thinking. My comments got a little long as well. :-)

I think the discussion around culture was probably good and needs to continue. This will change somewhat based upon all the factors (board, coaches, kids, etc), but we should have some vision (good for the kids, good for the team) and principles to structure our decisions. I think we have done a relatively good job trying to stick to this this year.

I think the idea of an office hour (30 minutes one time a week) could be a good addition for next year. I also think that we may simply need to be clearer from the parents meeting that emails/calls to the coaches could be the best way to quickly deal with issues (tracking, finding time to talk, etc). I also think that the Team Unify site and coaches doing the weekly messages is a good model going into next year. If we can do some things like getting events into the system earlier, doing online registeration, etc, we can make this more of a one stop shop.

For the board, I'm thinking we may also want to make a "board" tap on the TU site where we can focus some of our documents, minutes, action items, etc so this can be a one stop shop for us as well.

Communication continue to be so critical. I think we did pretty well this year (considering) and need to continue to find ways to make this easy and ubiquitous.

Your "winter" list of , By-Laws, possibly Terms and Conditions, 501c Status, Insurance, Calendars , looks like the right one to me.

As to the Horsetooth League and the year round teams, Marlene already pointed to the state packet. To double check what I remebered, I went to the CSSCSA bylaws (on their www.statemeet.com site) and article VI, Section H, point 2 has this:

   2) On or after May 16 of the swimming season, a swimmer may practice
   only with their summer club swim team and compete only in their
   summer club swim team's meets in order to be eligible for the State
   Summer Club Swim Meet. (To clarify, a swimmer may NOT practice or
   compete with another summer club team, year-round team, etc. on or
   after May 16th. To further clarify, a swimmer may not, for example,
   swim unattached in a USA swim meet on or after May 16. A swimmer may
   swim in a charity type event with permission of the state board.) A
   swimmer who is found violating this rule will be disqualified and
   all points, medals, and ribbons will be denied the swimmer. The team
   found violating this rule will be denied the swimmer's points. The
   balance of the team's points, ribbons, medals, and trophies will be
   denied the team until the team has paid a fine of one hundred
   dollars ($100.00). In addition, a swimmer must compete in at least 2
   meets prior to the state meet as a member of their summer club team
   in order to compete at the state meet.

So this is not a Horsetooth league thing. I suspect that Mike would like to be able to not loose "summer club" kids over the summer (actually, they already make this slightly difficult by making kids pay for all of May or not swim in May...).

City meet discussions are always challanging. After the Westfield meet, Marlene and I were thinking of how could we better leverage doing this year after year. Get a Horsetooth league with a full budget and have it run the meet? (Not likely). Have a list of sources for wireless stop watches, speakers, etc? Nothing obvious jumped out. I still like the idea of having a smaller team split with a bigger team every year, but this is another nightmare of orginazation.

I agree that we should get a task list together (possible one of those documents we put on the TU site and keep "live" every year. I'm also hoping we can wack together a rough calendar for next year and get place holders onto our calendar for next year at our September meeting.

One other thought I had was do we do a "pre-agreement" with the pool and fast for next year? Or just set a date to start those negotiations next Spring?

Thanks again for getting all of this down.

Yours, John

On 7/15/2014 7:05 PM, Andy and Heidi Mechtenberg wrote:

I hope that those of you that went to WaterWorld today had a good time -- dry and sunny? This weather is making me nervous about the ice cream social on Thursday! Is there such a thing as a "dry dance"? Never thought I would say that for Colorado! It's been a weird weather summer.

Anyway, I've attached my notes from my meeting with Mike Novelle this afternoon. Sorry they are so long. We spoke about a lot of things over 90 minutes. I've tried to encapsulate the important topics

I've copied Mike on this. Mike, if I've left anything out, or I've transcribed it incorrectly as you remember it please feel free to provide your corrections and comments.

I've not copied the coaches -- but I feel like it would be ok. Giving your okay I will send it along unless you all think it's inappropriate.

Thanks and good night!

-Heidi Mechtenberg

CAPS President