[cryptome] Re: Scottish Independence?

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:30:27 +0100

Hi Aftermath,
Now, that is a very interesting point. The Scots were never short at inventiveness during the industrial revolution, and very few of us learned our reading and writing without the aid of that great Scots American Andrew Carnegie, who devoted so much of the wealth which he extracted from exploiting his U.S. workforce in the late 19th and early 20th century, that he didn't know what to do with it and gave 90% away to funding the educational and philanthropic institutions with the wherewithal’s to give a diverse education to the underdogs of the world...including us Scots. There is nary a town in Scotland that doesn't have its main library named after and funded by Andrew Carnegie. I, myself would never have been able to read books on so many subjects, in the comfort of a nice, warm reference room in the middle of a harrowing Scottish winter, if it hadn't been for this man's great benefaction...

That said...I don't think that the Scottish establishment has even considered using a crypto-currency....though I could be wrong! It has found great difficulty getting its head round the practicalities of using the pound Sterling, and cannot even agree on how much oil wealth they have. And they have the same problem prioritising and balancing the budget as does any other bureaucratic state.

Really, at the time they decided to go for a referendum on independence, they were hoping to join the Euro, as an alternative to the pound if they couldn't get some kind of agreement with the Bank of England. However, the global financial crisis "scotched" that, if you will pardon the pun, so they were left with the alternative of going for the pound sterling or creating a new currency called the Scottish pound.

Trying the concept of joining the Euro on the Scottish masses, was unfortunately a no go area at the time and it was felt that it would lose them any referendum. A crypto-currency would be even more confusing, in my humble opinion. I remember carrying out a survey in my local computer club a couple of years ago, and I was the only one who had ever heard of Bitcoin, and no one had a clue what it was.

Having left Scotland in 1964 as an economic migrant and hitch-hiked all the way to London with £50 in my pocket to make my fortune, most of my close family have passed on and I have little contact with rare relatives, and therefore, nux influence on Scottish life. However, if anyone on here has contact with the Scottish Social media, it might well be worth while bringing the subject up...

Kind Regards,
Dougie.

On 08/09/14 21:44, Aftermath wrote:
as far as their national currency, its not unheard of for a country to atleast CONSIDER the use of cryptocurrency.

On Monday, September 8, 2014, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Silent1,
    I am a member Yougov, but they didn't give me the chance to vote
    in any of their polls on Scotland.   Doesn't surprise me in the
    slightest that the "Yes" lot are using such tactics...I dare say,
    so are the "No" vote...who is the biggest.  And why is it all so
    urgent...tomorrow is another day.  Long before the referendum, I
    watched the various debates in the parliamentary committees on the
    Scottish question...one could see then how the arguments were
    going to pan out.  I loved the currency question, when it came up
    at in the Financial Committee.  Completely flummoxed the Scottish
    Civil Servant, I was surprised that Salmond got caught out on it,
    he is a wiley politician if there is one.

    It will be interesting to find out how the social media has been
    used by all the Parties, institutions and organisations, and how
    much it will influence the outcome.  I dare say that some academic
    will be doing a report on it.

    Regarding The West Lothian Question...I fully agree.  I don't see
    why the M.P.s representing Scottish constituencies should be
    allowed to vote in the Westminster Parliament on what are English
    questions.   The issue has been raised many times by the Scottish
    nationalists,  they drew Cameron's attention to the contradiction,
    but it was ignored, too busy fighting and funding foreign wars and
    supporting the U.S. and the Al Quaeda Liberation Front in Syria.

    If Cameron had paid more attention and put more money into the
    kitty, then perhaps his Conservative/Liberal government and their
    "Better Together" cronies would be in a stronger position, both in
    England as well as Scotland.  English Nationalists, little
    Englanders and UKIP popping up everywhere.

    I loved the crack made by a member of the public at one of the
    debates between the Scottish P.M.  Alex Salmond and the "Better
    Together" leader, Alistair Darling.  He asked Mr. Darling why we
    weren't better together now, rather than getting on better in the
    future...difficult one to answer...got a big laugh...:-).

    On 08/09/14 19:15, Silent1 wrote:

        Just a small note regarding polling, a lot of the yes voting
        camp were getting people the sign up to yougov (the main
        referendum polling agency) a few months ago so it can't be
        taken to be all that accurate.
        I'm indifferent to Scotland leaving or staying I'd rather the
        West Lothian question was sorted though.