[cryptome] Re: Freelists As Well As NSA Snooping Addendum

  • From: Shelley <shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:03:40 -0700

I agree with Aftermath, however I understand John's position as well.

I just assume all listservs are public (likely from longtime use of usenet.)
&nbsp;If I had something sensitive to send to John, I certainly wouldn't post
it on the open list.

There is some good discussion that happens here; I'd rather the list find a new
home (perhaps at Riseup, as Ben suggested) than be abandoned.

---
In a time of universal deceit,&nbsp;telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

-George Orwell

On Jul 26, 2013 10:43 AM, Aftermath &lt;aftermath.thegreat@xxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:

I think this mailing list is another fine way to exchange information and
Ideas. please dont close it

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Ben McGinnes &lt;ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:

On 26/07/13 9:57 PM, John Young wrote:

&gt;

&gt; Cryptome does not support secret forums, instead participants should

&gt; know contents are public before joining a forum or participating.

I blame webmail. &nbsp;Ever since people stopped looking at email in a mail

client, they started treating mailing lists like reddit or some PHP

forum.

&gt; This list has had little traffic and only a small number of

&gt; posters. That's a fine alternative to social media frenzy of aiding

&gt; official and commercial spying that is fostering the unwary frenzy

&gt; to harvest its "free" bounty.

Certainly freelists.org isn't the best option given what you want, but

there are alternatives.

&gt; We add on the possible list closing, all messages will be deleted,

&gt; subscriber list too.

&gt;

&gt; But, destroying public information is abominable, so we are open to

&gt; persuasion on this.

What I would do is this:

1) Fine a new service that provides complete control, e.g. like that

&nbsp; &nbsp;offered by RiseUp: https://www.riseup.net/en/lists

2) Create the new list, play with the settings, test it.

3) Either disable the archive entirely or restrict it to subscribers

&nbsp; &nbsp;only.

4) Announce the new list on the old list for people to subscribe and

&nbsp; &nbsp;post to with links to the relevant guides. &nbsp;Warn the
subscribers

&nbsp; &nbsp;about step 5 and what to expect (which you should know from testing

&nbsp; &nbsp;in step 2).

5) Mass subscribe the entire list of subscribers to the new list.

6) Prevent further posting to the old list and make a copy of the

&nbsp; &nbsp;entire archive at that point (e.g. as a .zip file).

7) If there's a file share for the new list, upload the copy of the

&nbsp; &nbsp;old archive for subscriber access only.

8) Delete the old list, including the archive and subscriber list.

That's it.

Oh, I used riseup.net in the example because they provide services to

activists and are big on privacy, even on mailing lists. &nbsp;The only

potential drawback is whether you'd class Cryptome as radical in the

same way as they would. &nbsp;I'd be surprised if they took that tack given

all the stuff you publish, but who knows.

Regards,

Ben