[cryptome] Freelists As Well As NSA Snooping.

  • From: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 07:48:14 -0400

We have learned that Freelists, host of this list, makes all its lists'
contents available for public harvesting, especially through Google.
Free lists asserts lists' contents are considered public information
and are made available to contribute to public discourse.

Now knowing that Freelists makes this list's contents available for
harvesting is disturbing and we apologize for not knowing and
warning subscribers. We should have known "free" means other
than it seems.

We are considering closing the list because of this harvesting,
no different than spying. However, list members' opinion would
be appreciated.

Cryptome.org intends to publish this matter.

Here is a good example:

One of this list's member recently asked for a message to be removed
after discovering the author's name on Google and not wanting
what was thought to be a private opinion publicized.

We learned about this request when the author contacted Freelists
about message removal. The Freelist administrator forwarded the
request to us. We removed the message.

Some may know that Cryptome.org seldom removes material
posted on its site, except in cases where an individual, never
an official, politely asks for personal information removed.

There are about 600 subscribers to this list.

Thanks.