[cryptome] Re: The NSA snooping.

  • From: Ben McGinnes <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 00:47:31 +1000

On 20/07/13 10:18 PM, System Rat wrote:
> In Australia  - ASIS = CIA whereas ASIO = FBI in Oz in the context of
> intelligence services.

Actually a more accurate comparison is that ASIO is the equivalent of
MI5 and ASIS is the equivalent of MI6, except without the
"self-defence" power that British subjects have (which is what Fleming
used as the basis for the "license to kill" in his novels).

To get an equivalent of the FBI you'd need to combine parts of the
AFP, ASIO, the ACC and AUSTRAC.

> No I have no idea what they get up to regrettably I am not in the
> loop. :-) . In each case the attorney general overseas them but each
> has its own head.

Nope, not all of them.  There are six (possibly seven, depending on
definitions - see below) main intelligence organisations in Australia:

1) Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO); reports to
the Attorney-General.

2) Australian Secret Intelligence Service (ASIS); reports to the
Minister for Foreign Affairs.

3) Office of National Assessments (ONA); reports to the Prime
Minister.

4) Defence Intelligence Organisation (DIO); follows Department of
Defence chain of command up to the Deputy Secretary of Intelligence
and Security.

5) Defence Imagery and Geospatial Organisation (DIGO); follows
Department of Defence chain of command up to the Deputy Secretary of
Intelligence and Security.

6) Defence Signals Directorate (DSD); follows Department of Defence
chain of command up to the Deputy Secretary of Intelligence and
Security.

Arguably you could also include the Defence Security Authority (DSA),
which deals with security policy and vetting.

> PS I don't trust the current attorney general on the political level but
> come the next election he will be gone I hope.

You really think Tony Abbott and company will be an improvement?  If
the election goes that way I think you'll be disappointed.

Regards,
Ben