[CTS] Re: shutting off write protect

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 21:36:17 EST

Madrachod@xxxxxxx writes:

My only other options (that I can think of) are; A:  delete the _Restore
folder.  If I do this, will it somehow regenerate  itself the next time I turn
on
the computer the way the AOL thing I deleted a  week ago did?

If you write all zero's then the Restore folder becomes a moot point.
Does Restore regenerate: I have no idea.
If the best option is to delete the restore folder to get rid of the trojan
then I think that's what I'd do. I've been here for years without a Restore
folder..... it wouldn't help anyway... I'm way beyond any possible  restoration.

So, if you have followed all the instructions for removal using Stinger
after disabling the Restore folder the next move for me would be try to blow
away
the Restore folder that's housing that trojan.

To do that you need a tool that will delete it from DOS before Windows
loads. One tool that will do that is Move on Boot.

_http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/bin/moveonb.exe_
(http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/bin/moveonb.exe)

This tool is listed under old software in File Utilities. It is the old
freeware version and works just fine.
If the above link won't work look on the gibinsoft page and near the bottom
of the File Utilities to find it. Be careful not to get the shareware links  ?

Install MOB and you should come up with another option on the context menu
(right click) for a file "Delete file on the next boot".
If installed and the option is there right click on the Restore folder and
select delete,etc.
You were able to right click and bring up the properties so I'm assuming it
will work for MOB.
Right click and if it's successful you will get a msg box declaring  success.
Reboot and the file should be gone.