[CTS] Re: shutting off write protect

  • From: Madrachod@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 19:26:24 EST

Not to complain or anything, so please don't take it that way, but I already
know how to disable Sys/Res.  What I need to know is how to shut off write
protect.  I tried this this afternoon right after I sent the previous e-mail: I
went to the _Restore file, I right clicked on it, I opened up Properties, at
the bottom there are three white boxes marked Read Only; Hidden; Archive.
Hidden has a check mark in it's box.  The other two are empty.  I put a check
in
Read Only's box, I clicked Apply.  It gave me a warning with 4 options, Ignore;
Ignore All; and two others I didn't pay attention to, but were probably Okay
and Close.  I clicked on Ignore All.  It opened up a zip-like box and went
through something very fast even though it originally said it would take 5
minutes.  It only took about 5 seconds.  After that I clicked Okay on that box.
 The
check I put in the Read Only box was now gone!  I tried to delete the trojan
which was still in the McAfee window, since I'd just run it again (second time
today) to see if I could now delete it.  I couldn't!  I tried every
combination of check marks in the Properties window of the _Restore file and
NONE of
them would take effect, or allow me to delete the trojan.  I still have the
McAfee window on screen and will possibly leave it there until I can figure out
some way to delete this (expletive deleted)!!!!
    My only other options (that I can think of) are; A: delete the _Restore
folder.  If I do this, will it somehow regenerate itself the next time I turn
on the computer the way the AOL thing I deleted a week ago did?  Or; 2: write
zeroes and start the C drive all over AGAIN for the third time since last fall,
which will take at LEAST 2 days to do.  It did the last two times, why should
this time be any different?

                            Dale