[CTS] Re: master/slave configuration

  • From: "Peter" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:20:52 -0500

Bottom left on page 1:
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/iguides/ata/u6ig100129587b.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: computertalkshop-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:computertalkshop-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Hal Brown
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 4:13 PM
To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [CTS] Re: master/slave configuration

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:57:19PM -0500, Murray Reid duly noted:
>I've given up on trying to reinstall W98 on my other machine.  My main
concern now is trying to retrieve some very important data from the drive
(quantum fireball 6.4).

>I have removed the drive and installed in this machine and wants to be
recognized as the master and of course will not boot

>There are four sets of jumper pins marked as follows
>
>1;  Master (factory default)
>2;  cable select (master/slave)
>3;  Slave-jumper parking position
>4;  (no designation)
>
>I have a 2 connector IDE cable
>
>I have tried settings  2 and 3 on both positions on the cable and get the
same result (wants to be the master.

>Should I be changing some jumpers on the good drive also ???
--------end quoted text----------

Set it to slave.  The jumper parking position is just to store a spare
jumper
and does nothing.  You may have to go to Seagate's website to see how they
configure the jumpers for slave, but if you can only have one master per
controller and one master that is active, meaning the one you want to boot
from.  After the drives are installed and you boot the computer, immediately
go into the BIOS and let it auto-detect each drive.  You can see right then
if your configuration is correct.

I just pulled a Seagate from the shelf that I removed a couple of weeks ago.
This one appears to have no jumpers installed to make it a slave.  I don't
remember what you said you had, but you might give that a try.  Most of
these have the settings right on top of the drive.

--
Hal Brown
mailto: hdb@xxxxxxx

List HowTo: http://questforcertification.com/cts/faq