[CTS] Re: Wireless networking

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:32:10 -0500

A is compatible with B and G? They are on different bands - 802.11b and g
are at 2.4ghz with the difference being mbps rate - 11 or 54. A is 5ghz at
54mpbs. Also note that most routers/access points for wireless- despite
having a "mixed" mode - will switch to 11mbps for all units if even one b
unit is installed. You are right that g units can go to b - that's backwards
compatiblity, but b units cannot do g (I wish they could, would save on
upgrade funds).

Full explanation of the 802.11 specification/standard/system here
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/8/802_11.html

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm