[CTS] Re: Wireless networking

  • From: "Eric C. Vogel" <ECVogel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:30:28 -0400

MAke sure it has WPA-PKI like the WGR614v4 below. That is what I use. Since
my SmartDisplay is b and does not know what WPA is I have to leave up a
Microsoft MN-500 that can be hacked.
For everything else connects to the NetGear via b or g (Laptop also only b)
with WPA-PKI with the encryption key at the default to change every hour.

Also see:
http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq/wifi%20security.htm

I do not see the point of turning off SSID anymore, as NetStumbler will find
it anyways. I guess it could stop a niebor who does not have NetStumbler....

I am the only one that has one in my range. But when Channel 7 went looking
for open ones, they found them all over and open. And even knocked on the
door and told them and the security expert securied the network for them for
free. Not he did not attempt to connect. He used NetStumbler's info. The new
one lists the IP's for the Microsoft ones. Grrr...

Seems I need to update that webpage a little.

Thank you,
Eric Vogel