[COMP] Re: College girl who'll do anythin' to learn

  • From: James Gosnell <goose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:33:56 -0500

Christina Valayadun wrote:

> Hi, My goal (as a hobbie) by the end of this year is to learn to 2 =
> different programmin lang (python and Linux)
> I'm doing a Bsc in Comp Sci 1st yr so i'll also be learnin C+ and Java
> Recom good books+sites+other relev info
>
> Thanx
>  =20
> YT
> Christina

Install the Slackware distribution and learn C++. Read a lot of HOWTO
files and the man (manual) files. Python is alright but I'd say that
PERL, C and C++ are the mainstream languages you'll want to learn. I
honestly haven't tried Java, but I hear it's not too hard. The reason I
say to learn C++ is because it's object oriented, fast and ideal. It's
more of an ideal language, although it's a lot harder to learn, yet very
similar to C. It's more modularized. Once you have an object done, it's
easy to reuse and modify. While C can be, it's not object oriented. I've
been learning C++ for two years on and off from PERL and C. I read a
book on C, and I feel more comfortable with C than I do with PERL or
C++, just cause it's easier and quick to learn. C++ expands your mind in
a more ideal, logical way, which makes learning other languages a lot
easier, as well as learning the language itself. I actually decided last
week to make C++ my primary language. Every language has it's
usefulness, but I'd say C, C++ and PERL are the extremes that most
compliment and benefit each other by you knowing them. Good books would
be "On To C++" by Patrick Henry Winston. Great book for learning the
technical/grammar of C++! "Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis"
by Clifford A. Shaffer has helped in teaching me how to apply the C++.
"Learning PERL" from Oreilly Publishing is great for...Learning PERL. :)
I'm sure they have a great book on Python out there if you really want
to learn it. http://www.strath.ac.uk/CC/Courses/NewCcourse/ccourse.html
has a nice C programming manual that I refer to quite a bit, even when
I'm doing C++ sometimes. If you haven't programmed before, stuff will
look overwhelming. Start with the "Hello World" programs. READ as much
as you can, then do your own tests and examples of what your read. When
you see how it is applied, then it will sink in. I would HIGHLY
recommend you install Linux as quick as you can, especially if you're
Computer Science. Instead of being limited financially, or by time (who
wants to spend hours looking on IRC for warez) you can download what
ever you need with Linux, and you can even look at the code and see how
they did it! Besides, if you ever have questions, there are ALWAYS
groups like this that will answer your questions. What school are you
going to?

James Gosnell
goose@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org