RE: research using student work

  • From: "Joanna Paull" <joannapaull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:33:28 -0400

Lauren:
First, since we aren't the experts, I would either ask Mike Williamson,
since he's the English department's member on the IRB for the last word.

In my perspective, you cannot collect people's writing without their
knowledge, nor could you use their texts without them knowing about it
via the Internet.  That'd be my guess.  There may be a loop hole, if the
texts are posted on the Internet, since it is a public text; however, I
would think there would be an expectation that people wouldn't use them
for research.

Again, I'd say ask Mike just to be sure.
Joanna