Plagiarism and Cheese balls . . .

  • From: ms lynch <amy.wordnerd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 12:37:12 -0400

On 5/3/05, Joanna Paull <joannapaull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyone out there have
> some solid lessons that seem to work for them? Please share.
  I begin each course by reading my uber-strict plagiarism policy. I also
announce that I hold the recond at two local schools for number of
plagiarist found in a single semester. (Which is true.) I put the fear of
god, me, and the dean in them. I discuss the moral, ethical, and educational
reasons not to plagairize. Later, I dedicate a class to paraphrasing and
citations.
 The number of cases goes down every year. In fact, I have had only one case
this year, in a rough draft, and the young woman was just poorly
paraphrasing.
Amy